55 Uses for Biochar
There are some real Jewels in the Ithaka journal's article 55 uses for Biochar
Mr. Schmidt makes a good point that biochar provides more value when it's used for other purposes before it is worked into the soil, and then he does a nice job of laying out the pathways to do so.
One of my favorites
Cascading uses of biochar in farming with animals.
- use biochar as a silage agent
- then it's a feed additive that's been shown to help feed conversion in cattle
- add it to the litter or animal bedding to help capture urea etc and keep it from annoying your animals
- in more watery forms of waste, use in slurry treatment
- adding a little more char can improve manure composting and retain more nutrients in the compost
- Then that compost makes a really good soil amendment, especially with a little more char added to help improve the water holding capacity of the soil